We often mistake the powerful abilities of orthodontic braces to be all-encompassing. It is easy to think your teeth are protected when a wall of metal embraces them. However, this is not the case. Braces fight curvatures and malocclusions, not cavities. Any cavity-busting abilities must still come from within your own repertoire. Here are a few examples of things you can do to fight cavities when wearing braces:
– Avoid foods that can get stuck in your braces and lead to tooth decay. This includes corn on the cob, chewy foods such as taffy, hard foods such as apples, and various nuts and snacks.
– To protect your teeth and jaw, wear a mouth guard when playing contact sports. Your orthodontist can recommend a specific mouth guard for individuals with braces.
– Go to your regularly scheduled appointment with your orthodontists at Lee A. Mahlmann, DDS, MS, Inc.. Missed appointments will only delay your recovery time.
– Continue your regularly scheduled cleanings and exams with your dentist.
– Be sure to clean your retainer once a week.
– Continue brushing your teeth (and your retainer) twice a day, Also floss your teeth daily to prevent plaque buildup between hard to reach areas. Replace your toothbrush every three months.
Together, with the help of our own oral care and braces, your teeth can look better than ever before. If you would like to know more about what you can do to protect your braces, please make an appointment by contacting our wonderful team at Lee A. Mahlmann, DDS, MS, Inc. via phone at 281-342-6311. You can also stop by our office in Richmond, Texas. Don’t delay, stop by today!